Monday, February 22, 2010

I vaguely remember I agreed to no more pets...

Indigo and Jemima
Crystal and Ginger. I didn't name the kittens, I would have gone with something a bit more exciting than ginger! But Ginger is Crystal's cat. His name originally was Sleep Night because he apparently will sleep at night (can't fault the logic there!) but she changed her mind so now he's Ginger.



But it was so long ago, how can I be expected to remember all these thing? We have a mouse problem. Not just a little odd mouse in the cupboard but a full blown cable munching (stereo, salt lamp, tv and one electrical outlet so far) problem. At night I can hear them scurrying, When I sit in the lounge at night and all is quiet I see them dart across the room, and I hear them squeaking when I try to sleep. One morning we found one in the bath. They are horrible disgusting little vermin and I want them out of my house! Yuck! I set traps, but they're smarter than me, in the morning the traps are unsnapped but all the peanut butter has been licked off. I got one of those high pitched noise electrical plug ins, THEY DO NOT WORK PEOPLE! I even went so far as to look at chemicals and poisonous baits, but I couldn't do it. Partly because I don't want chemicals in my house, partly in case Rainbow found one and munched on it, and partly because I don't want to stress every time the rabbits are in the house. What to do, what to do? Then it hit me - I needed a cat! When we had a cat we never had a mouse problem! Simple! So after looking at the trading post (nope, don't really want to spend $500 on a pedigree that would probably think mouse hunting was below it's class level) gumtree (lots of free kittens, don't really want to drive a few hours to go collect them though) I finally found some on freecycle that were not too far away, so I picked Indigo and Crystal up from school and surprised them by going to get a kitten! But when we got there they were SO scrawny and wild I felt sorry for them and I couldn't leave one behind so we came home with two. So welcome to the family Ginger and Jemima! We hope you have a long happy life with us and we hope your farm upbringing means you are going to enjoy living here where there's mice a plenty.


No comments:

Post a Comment