Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chicken Coop!


I waited 3 years, yes 3 YEARS! for my husband to build me a chook pen. In the meantime the chooks have be free ranging in the backyard, and collecting eggs was like a daily scavenger hunt. But finally I said no more! I don't need to wait for a man to build me a chook pen! And so I knocked this one up. It only took about 2 hours, I'm really annoyed with myself for waiting so long to make it! It's made from an old loft bed we've carted around from house to house, planning to use again one day when we didn't have little babies sleeping with us every night. But the wood was getting a bit weak, at one stage it was stored in a shed and got water on it, and I didn't think I'd ever come to a point where I could sleep safely 2 meters up in the air on water damaged wood! So it was a very cheap (hehehe, get it? Cheep? Sorry, I know that's dodgy ;) ) chook pen to build, all I needed was the wire and some fire engine red paint to make it go faster. (I'm full of good jokes today yes?) It's just big enough to comfortably house our6 chooks and 2 chicks, but I'm going to put another fence around it so they have a bigger yard to scratch in when I let them out, but no more stepping on chook cr@p when I walk outside. And there's an old cupboard in there that they lay their eggs in, so wonderful and I don't have to race the dogs to get the eggs! My next backyard project is building a similar one to house our lovely rabbits, they have two cages joined together with a pen, but they are masters of escape so something a bit more permanent and rabbit proof is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment