Friday, March 12, 2010

Op shop goodness

Oh how I love a good op shop! I hardly ever get the chance, the one op shop that's in my region is in the next town, about 10 minutes drive, and it's a really great one but it's open 1 (yes 1!) day a week from 9 - 12. And I have Bible studies at 10, so I hardly ever get to go. The bigger regional town near us is 1/2 hour away, but I try to avoid going to town where ever possible. There's just not enough days in the week and I'm fairly obsessed with my down time with Rainbow at the moment. But YAY! for us, not so yay for Crystal, she had another dentist visit this week, to make a mold of her mouth, so we had to go to town. I visited 3 op shops and got some good retail therapy in.

At op shop number one I got a collection of little dolls in different cultural dresses. I normally turn my nose up at little plastic dolls, but they're really cute! And as I type I can here them being played with by 3 happy little chicks. I also got a brand new pair of jeans for me, they're awesome and have the price tag on still $90. Also got 5 pairs of kids socks (they ALWAYS need new socks, we must have 100 pairs but where are they?? I have no idea!) and two queen sized sheet sets, much much needed! So how much did I pay for all this goodness? $7! Yep, $7! I am one happy camper!
Op shop number 2! Got a great vintage quilt, at the moment it's on Crystal and Rainbow's bed, I plan for it to go in the reading corner of the playroom, but they've claimed it for now. It's one of those heavy ones that you pick up and you know it's going to keep you warm. Also a pink woolen blanket, great because it's starting to get cold here! The green is 4 placemats, I got them because I wanted to stitch some pvc onto one so it's waterproof and put the cat's bowl on it to catch messes, but they're really great and I don't know if I want to mess with them now! Might re-think. And the cowgirl boots for Indigo, also brand new, no price tag but still stuffed with paper and not a spot of wear on them. She was very very excited, she's wanted a pair for a while but I couldn't justify spending a lot on them. So how much for this lot? $20! Another shop I walked out of grinning!
And the final op shop, one that's normally pretty useless but it's across the road from the top op shop, so I thought I'd stick my head in. Got a surprise, I found a few great things! The enamel cooking dish, I can't wait to use! I got it for camping but I might have to give it a test drive first. The table cloth I've been looking for a waterproof table cloth to stitch into a big pillow for the day bed on the veranda, this one's nice and sunny with the big red and yellow flowers. The sheets are lovely soft cotton, I have a thing for stripy sheets! And the calico on top is a cute skirt, Rainbow wore it today and it's so sweet. It will look good as a petticoat under skirts in winter, she has a petticoat dress that she loves. And this lot? $10. Meh, not a huge bargain but I really didn't want to walk out with out that cooking dish!

All in all a good day's hunting I think!

3 comments:

  1. You got some great stuff! I love op shopping too, wish I had more time to do it! It's not that fun to do with Esme though because she insists on pulling everything off the shelves lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most un fun bit for me is when the op shop ladies try to give away cruddy Mc Donalds toys to my girls! I know they are being sweet so I usually take them and re op shop them later but it really annoys me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having op shop envy right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete