Saturday, October 17, 2009

What's growing?



My usual answer would be not too much! A combination of living in a hugely windy spot plus being over committed and so not spending the time needed out in the backyard, plus being indecisive about what I want out there have meant not a lot has been done out there! Not to mention the heatwave we had over summer, the lemon and olive trees were burnt as if they'd been in an oven (47 degree heat will do that) and they've only just started to recover now with new leaves on the olive tree and new flowers on the lemon tree.

But finally I have said enough! No more excuses! So over winter a dozen or so tea trees were planted, along with some wattle that are all growing well and will hopefully turn part of the backyard into my own mini native bushland, while the rest of it has been given over to vegies and a cottage garden. Originally I wasn't going to put in a cottage garden, I wanted all natives, but so many friends and family members have given me cuttings from their own gardens and I felt like it was a gesture I couldn't turn down, I love the thought of little pieces of loved ones gardens being carried over to my own. So I have a garden with daisies, roses, lavender and geraniums. I'm going to try and use as many of the cottage plants as I can in recipes for around the home, I'm looking forward to making lavender lollypops!

The vegie garden is still a bit sparse, but I've got basil, rosemary, thyme, mint, apple mint, oregano, parsley, tomatoes, lettuce and strawberries. So basically a salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment