Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sanctuary Spaces

My house is crazy messy. I long to be one of those people whose house is calm and uncluttered and beautiful, and I'm working on it but being a hoarder it's very hard! It's depressing to look around the room and see mess and chaos and it' a real hinderance to creative energy for myself and my family. So while I'm working on it, and to give myself extra motivation to transform the whole house, I think it's important to every now and then focus on the good bits, the bits that are done and that make me smile. So today it's a corner of my lounge room. The books are not always but away properly, but it's a spot that only ever takes 30 seconds to put right and the girls spend a lot of time playing here.






The table Indigo and I spotted in an op shop and both instantly said "That's it!" because we'd been keeping our eyes open for a table like that for a few years, one that was in our price range ($10) was proving hard to find until this one! The bird cage on it Indigo got at a market a few years ago and it's been played with steadily since then, with various real and homemade bird's nests, rocks and crystals for eggs and little feather birds inside. Some of the girls crystal collection is kept here too, in a rock ashtray that makes a good bowl for little treasures like polished stones, and that Rainbow often fills with water to give the birds a bath. I'm ok with that, the times she's used milk instead of water haven't been the best!

On the bookshelf is a yellow vw toy car that I've had since I was little. I love it because it reminds me of the beetle car my dad drove through my childhood, standing on the runners while he came up our street was awesome fun, probably illeagal now!

The rainbow was my favourite wedding present, given to us by a dear friend. I'd wanted one for a couple of years so I love it, more so because it's handmade.

The curtains are also special, they are from the early 60's and belonged to my step dad's mum, she made them herself when they lived in England and have been hung in many a house of various relatives until now. I can imagine giving them to Indigo when she's furnishing her first flat, I love the history in them, I just hope she still likes silky burnt orange in another decade or so!

No comments:

Post a Comment