Thursday, October 22, 2009

Holidays

Feeling a bit sad and sorry for myself after having a tooth taken out (well, almost taken out, after 2 hours of drilling and yanking the dentist gave up and has referred me to a surgeon, so the ordeal is not over yet) I've decided to transport myself from this world into memory lane, and think about the school holidays that have just been a few weeks ago. My husband had to work through them, so I decided to take the girls camping by myself, I just needed to get away from life for a few days, and what better way than pitching a tent by the beach? It made me think about what life would be like if we didn't have the relentless school machine 5 days a week, I know it wouldn't be all beach walks and playgrounds, but I loved not being aware of what the time was all day, playing until we were done playing rather than until we had to start dinner/bed proceedings.
I've given a lot of consideration to whether or not to send the girls to school, which I'll talk about another day, and although I'm so very happy that they are at the right school for them, I wish we had the freedom from having every day set out for us! Surely part time schooling isn't too much to ask - say 3 days a week?

Anyway, we decided to holiday in Portarlington, mainly because it isn't too far from home - 50 minutes by car - and is near my sister-in-law so we could spend a day with her and my nieces at the beach and the park and eating chips, which is a must do for lunch at the beach (haven't really figured out why yet) And that's pretty much all our holiday was - beach, playground and food! I love how when you stay at caravan parks the kids instantly find a best friend to hang out with, which gave me some much needed reading time, I arrived loaded up with books from the library, and read two novels in the few days we were there, one at night by torch light with a block of chocolate I'd managed to keep hidden. Mmmm, hidden chocolate...

We also collected sea glass and shells that we can turn into something amazing to remember our trip by. We saw countless jellyfish, crabs and fish, and a banjo shark when we walked along the pier. We took long walks along the beach, the girls swam naked, which is more than I can say for me, I waded up to my knees but it was way too cold for me to swim! It's hard to find photos to share actually, because so many of them are naked shots! Best of all we spent time together, enjoyed each other's company and created some lasting memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment