Monday, August 30, 2010

mmmmm, dinner

Still no camera cable joy! But have decided I will bravely blog on without photos.

I've been getting into living more frugally lately - being utterly despondently broke will do that to you! So I might share here what I'm doing, I pretty much need to make dinner for the family for under $5. That's $5 a meal, not $5 per head like those poxy budget meal ideas usually are. So tonight was fried rice, always a popular one here! It's amazing to think that until about 5 years ago I didn't like the taste of rice, other than creamed rice or rice pudding. I blame a childhood full of icky fried rice dishes, sorry mum, but I just hated them. Hope my children don't feel the same way, although Indigo does sometimes sigh "Fried rice AGAIN?" but she eats it all so it must be nice!

Here's the recipe, it's not hard at all:

Cook some rice. I failed miserably at this until I got a rice cooker, which I love love love, perfect rice every single time, and it was only $12 at Aldi and it's one of my fave kitchen appliances

Cool rice in the fridge. I skip this step if I'm in a hurry, but it does make for a nicer meal if you have time, the rice doesn't stick together like it does if you use warm rice

Mix together a couple of eggs and make a thin omlette. I usually go 2 eggs for the 5 of us

Take the omlette out of the pan and put in about a cup and a half of frozen mixed vegies. I like the Aldi one, it's $1.50 and the vegies are chunky and it has lots of broad beans which have to be one of my fave vegies.

When the vegies are defrosted add the rice and stir to combine.

Add your seasoning. I usually use soy sauce and kecap manis, tonight I didn't have either so I put in some garam massala powder and a little bit of passata, it was so yum!

Stir it all up, divide it into bowls and serve topped with the omlette

Dinner for 5, under $5!

No comments:

Post a Comment